Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail’s 2011 Spring Classic Results
Apr 26th, 2011 by OutdoorsFIRST
Modified Apr 26th, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Anglers caught six muskie during the Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail’s 2011 inaugural event, the Spring Classic, at Kinkaid Lake near Murphysboro March 12 and 13.
Despite warming weather, lake temperatures remained cool and runoff from heavy rains earlier in the week kept water at the northern end of the lake looking like chocolate milk. Lake conditions along with high barometric pressure kept the bite slow and for most, the big fish lived up to its expectations.
Tournament participants caught three fish each day. The event paid four places.
Matt Gunkel and Ryan Carlson took first place with a 46.75-inch fish caught by Gunkel.
Jerry Larson and Mike Witowski took second with Larson’s 39.5-inch fish.
John Wright and Jim Dingus got third with a 38.75-inch fish caught by Wright.
Jim Kelly and John Forsyth rounded out fourth with Kelly’s 38-inch fish.
Brian Hansas caught a 35.25-inch fish and Timothy Garner caught a 34.5-incher.
A total of 60 anglers and 31 teams competed in the spring kickoff event for IMTT. The event, which also features a canned food drive to support local food pantries, saw 527 canned goods donated to Murphysboro’s food pantry.
Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail Youth Honor Roll
Howard Chambliss, President of the Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail unveiled the new Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail Youth Honor Roll for 2011 at the recently completed TriEsox Show in Chicago.
According to Chambliss, “the new program is designed to actively promote Muskie fishing among young folks throughout Illinois by rewarding youth under the age of eighteen that catch Muskie with a personalized plaque”. Chambliss further reported that the new program is completely free of cost to those that participate. All that is required by a participant is to submit data concerning the catch (size, lake, etc) and a photo of the successful angler and his catch. Muskie size is not a factor, however the fish must have been caught on an Illinois lake.
After receiving the successful anglers data, the Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail will list the successful catches on the IMTT website as well as in its’ newsletter, and will forward to the angler a personalized plaque recognizing his/her accomplishment.
Complete information regarding this new and exciting program can be obtained by going on the Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail web site or by contacting Bob Kerans, IMTT Youth Honor Roll Director (217) 414-0093. Complete contact information for Chambliss or Kerans may be obtained from the IMTT web site.
News Media sources may contact the following for more information:
Howard Chambliss, IMTT President, 12422 N. Sparrow Lane, Mt. Vernon, Ill. 62864 Phone 618-244-1982 email: [email protected]
Bob Kerans, Youth Program Director, 3045 S. Frankklin St. Rd., Decatur, Ill. 62521 Phone 217-414-0093 email: [email protected]
ILLINOIS MUSKIE TOURNAMENT TRAIL
YOUTH HONOR ROLL
The Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail, with its’ interest in promoting Muskie fishing among young folks in Illinois will be sponsoring the IMTT YOUTH HONOR ROLL starting January 1, 2011. Honor Roll entries will be accepted until November 1, 2011.
Particulars of Interest
1. Two age groups: 0 to 10 years old and 11 to 18 years old. Age group based on entrant age as of January 1, 2011.
2. Awards to every entrant, special award to winner in each age group with largest Muskie caught and largest collective inches of Muskies caught. A special drawing will be held at the State Championship Banquet for a Muskie rod and reel with each entrant being entered for every Muskie reported.
3. All catches must be made within the State of Illinois
4. An entrant must report name, age, contact information, lake caught, date of catch, lure used and length of the Muskie caught.
5. A media useable photo is suggested with each report
6. An entrant may submit as many catches as so desired
7. Catches do not have to be made from a boat. All waters within the borders of Illinois is considered eligible waters.
8. A running account of reported catches will be placed monthly on the IMTT Web Site as well as in the IMTT newsletter.
Report Form – Print
1. Name_____________________________________ Age___________
3. Phone______________________________ Email_______________________________
4. Parents Name____________________________________________________________
5. Size of Muskie caught________inches, Lake Muskie Caught_______________________
6. Lure Used___________________________ Date of catch_________________________
7. If you have a relative that is a member of an Illinois Muskie organization please list person name and organization______________________________________________