2021 Minnesota High School Muskie State Championship Results
23 seconds ago by Keith Worrall
Modified 23 seconds ago at 23 seconds ago
2021 Minnesota High School Muskie State Championship
Friday, August 13, 2021 The 2021 Minnesota High School Muskie State Championship was held on Lake Vermilion on Friday, August 13. Vermilion Dam Lodge (VDL) was again the headquarters for the event, providing location and services for boat launching and AIS inspections, morning rules meeting, awards ceremony, and catered lunch. In partnership with the Vermilion Lake Association, we required all boats to undergo an AIS inspection prior to their initial launch on the lake. All boat captains complied, and we thank them for their cooperation.
The number of registered participants this year was 23 anglers plus their boat captains (12 teams total). Anglers qualified for the state championship via their local Muskies Inc. chapter qualifier event or the Minnesota Youth Muskie Tournament Trail.
Fishing hours were 6:30 AM to 2:30 PM and the entire lake was open for competition. This year we again used FishDonkey, a mobile application, to record and verify all fish catches. Lake Vermilion had a tough bite this year and only one Muskie was logged all day. The sole Muskie was caught by the team of Charlie Weiss and Erik Panyon, earning them the title of repeat champions since they also won in 2020! Conversations with participants indicated several other close calls, but no more Muskies made it into the net. To round out the places, two teams caught Northern Pike within the last hour of the tournament.
Teams started to arrive at Vermilion Dam Lodge by 2:30 for the prizes, awards distribution, and catered lunch. We also handed out free shirts to all students and boat captains. Keeping with tradition, we were able to do a group picture at VDL.
• 1st place – 42 inch Muskie – team of Charlie Weiss and Erik Panyon representing the North Metro Muskies Inc. chapter
o Charlie and Erik took home 1st place plaques and Okuma rods o Erik took home a half-day guided trip donated by Josh Borovsky
• 2nd place – 28.5 inch Northern Pike – team of Elli Borovsky and Carter Graff representing Twin Cities Muskies Inc. chapter o Elli and Carter took home 2nd place plaques and Thorne Bros gift cards
• 3rd place – 24.25 inch Northern Pike – team of Thomas Diemer and Colton Swift representing Brainerd Lakes Muskies Inc. chapter o Thomas and Colton earned 3rd place plaques and lures
• The recipient of a random draw, Luke Barrow took home a half-day guided trip donated by Dave Schueck from Sunset Glow Guide Service
• All anglers took home a Plano box filled with muskie lures and Thorne Bros gift card Tournament officials thank our supporters which enabled this event to occur. Without their contributions, the students would not have this opportunity to learn and grow the sport of Muskie
• Hugh C. Becker Foundation for awarding grant money to the tournament organizers
• Youth Heritage Outdoors for organizing the tournament
• Minnesota Muskies Inc. chapters for their continued support of the high school muskie championship and commitment to getting more youth involved in the sport
• Vermilion Dam Lodge for hosting the event and catering the lunches for students & boat captains
• Thorne Bros. for providing discounted gift cards
• Musky Mayhem Tackle for product donations
• Twin Cities Muskies, Inc. for product donations
• J3 Tackle for product donations
• Muskego Point Resort for product donations
• Josh Borovsky (Pro Muskie Guide) for guided fishing trip donation
• Dave Schueck (Sunset Glow Guide Service) for guided fishing trip donation Pictures of the event can be viewed at https://photos.app.goo.gl/NHajiH24n4Jnqu9w5 Contact: Dave Schueck, 612-770-0495, [email protected]