Smoked Dove – a great way to cook your limit
Category: Cooking Wild Game
Sep 2nd, 2022 by Keith Worrall
Modified Sep 2nd, 2022 at 1:43 PM
Here’s a great new way to cook your limit.
6 tbs butter
4 tbs brown sugar
1. Mix the Hi Mountain Seasonings Game Bird Brine with one gallon of ice water in a brine bag or a non-porous container.
2. Add the cleaned dove breasts to the brine. Refrigerate 24 hours.
3. After refrigerating the dove breasts in brine for 24 hours, remove and rinse in cold water. Soak the dove breasts in water for 90 minutes, changing the water once.
4. Air dry the dove breasts on a oven rack for one hour.
5. While the dove breasts are drying, set your smoker or pellet grill to 225 degrees F.
6. Lightly coat the dove breasts with olive oil and cover with a generous amount of Hi Mountain Seasonings Trail Dust.
7. Transfer oven rack with the dove breasts to the smoker or grill.
8. Melt the butter and add the brown sugar. Stir until the brown sugar is completely dissolved. Keep the glaze warm until ready to use.
9. After cooking for one hour, baste each dove breast with the glaze.
10. Cook for an additional hour or until the dove breasts reach the internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Remove and serve.
Note: Use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal cooking temperature has reached 165 degrees F.